Wednesday, April 21, 2010

More indians with access to mobile phones than toilets!

So a recent UN report on sanitation says that India has more mobile phones users (45%) than people with access to toilets or sanitation facilities (31%):
http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/india/India-has-more-cell-phones-than-toilets-UN/Article1-531449.aspx
I'm curious to know the amount of overlap, or people with mobile phones and no toilets. From my experiences over the last few weeks, I think it might actually be a decently high number. I downloaded the pdf of the report, but havien't finished reading it yet. If I find the overlap number, I'll edit this post.


4 comments:

  1. cutie soy sauce!

    In regards to cell phones I would absolutely believe that. for that reason I don't know if I agree with projects like one laptop per child, when so many people already have mobile phones...why not just capitalize more on that technology?

    -Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah when I saw that report I thought to myself "what a silly/meaningless statistic. there should be more mobile phones anyway because people share toilets." (not to say that people don't also share mobile phones, which they definitely do) but I do understand it's an effective way to highlight the state of sanitation in a country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah but i dont think the statistic said anything about single ownership of toilets, just the amount of people with access. so i think this takes into account shared toilets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are urgently in need of kidney donors for the sum of $450,000,00, WhatsApp 917418483326
    Help Line: 917418483326
    Call: +91 9036106919
    kokilabendhirubhaihospital@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete